
I found a girl friend distressed during the latter part of my shift. I'm not always the best listener but I know I'm the best cheerleader and pom pom girl.
Maybe if I had special powers in a comic book story, my power would that be of an empath. I feel so drained afterwards that at the moment I am sulking and shedding useless tears in front of this lifeless PC who couldn't console me.
She found out that the husband of 17 years is cheating.
She had decided to drink more than 10 pieces of Valium. They have a 4 year beautiful boy. She's a hard worker, she's brilliant, she's size 0. Growing up she's a princess. Family owns one of the hugest clothing and DIY supplies in Negros province. The husband suddenly says he doesn't love her. And pinpoints her flaws. She's too thin, she's not at all pretty for his liking, she is an absentee wife.
Girlfriend is devastated beyond words. With her 78lbs anorexic twig frame, she wouldn't have survived if all the Valium went to the pit of her stomach.
I couldn't pass judgement about the other girl as I do not know her. And I do not know what the husband promised her or how he could've presented himself to her to make her fall for him- him who has baggages. I couldn't because, what if one day I fall prey into such a situation without my knowledge? Or even with my knowledge but, what if I'd be on the same boat with the other girl- AND BE(is) THE OTHER WOMAN?
Then again, this I know so much. That if I were the wife as in the case of my girl friend, I wouldn't leave my man. That I will work the marriage out. That I will salvage whatever is left of it. And that, I above all else will respect myself first- I will not hurt myself by throwing all of my values to trash and go merry-making or clubbing or taking sleep pills because he will lose his respect for me the moment he sees me making a garbage out of myself.
-
And well, I've been a wife once. In the same common law marriage. I told her I endured the hitting and beating and the irrational jealousies. So, I'm sure she can be strong enough to suck it up and work things out and not leave.
-
xx

No comments:
Post a Comment